Xyloba Building Extensions
The Xyloba Building Extensions are single items that can be added to an existing Xyloba collection. Handy when designing and composing a specific melody.
The Xyloba Building Extensions available include:
Points: The points allows optionally directing a ball in two different track courses. The points require a passage block.
Building Brick: This is used to bring the elements with special functions to the correct height.
Passage Brick: The Roll Track Long and the different points can be directed through this element.
- Start Brick: This is where the ball enters the marble run at the top of the track.
- Start Brick in the Tower: If a track start is in the middle of a tower, this element must be used for the start. This is also required under the sound brick without track exit element.
- Base Plate: The orange Base Plates improve the stability of the structures. They also collect the balls at the end of the track. Comes in a set of 2 pieces.
- Roll Track Short: The Roll Track Short corresponds to the note value of one quarter. Comes in a set of 2 pieces.
- Roll Track Long: The Roll Track Long corresponds to the note value of one half. Comes in a set of 2 pieces.
- Eighth Note: This element creates the note value of an eighth note (quaver). The ball does not change the tower.
- Roll Track One Eighth: This element places a sound plate on a Roll Track Short. It sets the note value of one eighth. The ball switches the tower as opposed to the eighth note element which does not.
- Roll Track One Eighth Triplet: This element places a sound plate on a Roll Track Short so that it creates the final eighth of a triplet.
- Roll Track One Eight Dotted: This element places a sound plate on a roll track short so that a dotted eighth is created.
- Roll Track Crossing: With this element, two Roll Track Shorts can cross at the same height.
- Single Sound Stroke: If no sound should be heard in a sound brick, this element is used instead of a sound plate. In this way, the previous sound is extended by a random value.
Made in Switzerland.
Recommended Age: 5+ Warning. Not suitable for children under 36 months. Choking hazard due to small parts.
An overview of the different Marble and Ball Runs available can be found in our blog post The Ultimate Marble Run Play Guide.
Samuel Langweiler started working on his idea of a musical marble run in 1969 which would allow a marble to create a melody by striking chimes while running down the tracks. Samuel wanted the marble run to be interactive and the chimes to be interchangeable so children could not only build marble runs but also create different tunes by changing the order of the chimes and the lengths of the tracks in between. During the design process Samuel encountered quite a few problems but after many experiments he came up with his first melody and design. Due to his busy job as a cellist for the Tonhalle Orchester Zürich and being on tour for long periods at a time, Samuel did not have time to search for a manufacturer for his marble run. It was only years later that the Weizenkorn Foundation started manufacturing and distributing Samuel’s invention under the name Xyloba Musical Marble Runs.
Xyloba Musical Marble Runs is a creative wooden toy which develops fine motor skills, spatial imagination and facilitates a creative approach to music. As the marble rolls down the track it hits each chime in succession. The interlocking system of ramps and sound blocks, which house the chimes, lets children create a large variety of set ups. Xyloba Musical Marble Runs allow children to compose their own tunes by experimenting with the different chimes and the distance - the lengths of the ramps - between the chimes to create a rhythm.
The Weizenkorn Foundation, based in Basel, Switzerland, is a social business which supports and employs over 200 young men and women with psychological impairments who are unable to find work. In the sheltered workshops of the Weizenkorn Foundation these young men and women create the different components of the Xyloba Musical Marble Runs as well as many other beautiful and high quality wooden toys.